PAMBA was created in 1999 to promote marine biotechnology in the Americas as a promising route to achieving sustainable socio-economic benefits from marine resources. In furtherance of this goal, and with a tight focus on the Americas, PAMBA will:
- facilitate personal and organizational interactions and information exchange
- sponsor exchange of scientists, managers, faculty, and students among all organizations
- engaged in marine biotechnology activities
- encourage the development of commercial marine biotechnology
- sponsor conferences and workshops on marine biotechnology and publish the proceedings
- sponsor and organize special advanced courses in marine biotechnology
- contribute to improvements in the teaching of marine biotechnology.